CELA Fifth Annual Trial College
Thursday-Saturday, May 31-June 2, 2018, Loyola Law School, Los Angeles
To register, please click here.
Using a learn-by-doing approach, CELA’s 3-day Trial College strives to arm participants with the experience and confidence to take cases to trial.
This year, CELA will offer two levels of Trial College training – Foundational and Advanced.* The Foundational track will focus on basic trial skills where seasoned employment trial lawyers will guide participants through the different stages of trial: voir dire (with live jurors), opening statement, direct examination, cross-examination and closing argument. In addition to all the training offered in the Foundational track, the Advanced track will include expert witness examination and proving punitive damages.
Both tracks will include intensive, hands-on trial training. Participants will be divided into small groups of attorneys with relatively similar experience levels. Each participant will be video recorded. Participants will receive critiques and feedback in both group and individual settings.
Interspersed during full-day training sessions, leaders in the employment/civil rights community will present live demonstrations.
*The “Advanced” track is reserved for attorneys with previous CELA Trial College or other “learn-by-doing” trial training, or no less than five (5) previous trials.
Presenter & Trainers
J. Bernard Alexander
- Registrations will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Registration open to current CELA attorney members only.
- There will be significant pre-Trial College reading and preparation (minimum 20 hrs. prep time).
- No “observing only” registrations available.
- No partial attendance – all three days required.
- Trial College registration includes all training materials, breakfast, lunch and refreshments.
- Cancellation Policy: No refunds, credits or cancellations after May 4, 2018 (no exceptions).
- NO ATTENDEE SUBSTITUTIONS unless cleared through the CELA Administrative office. Substitutions will be made from the waiting list, in order of sign up, and as available.
CELA has reserved a limited block of rooms at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel for Trial College attendees. Reservations can be made online by clicking here or by calling the hotel reservation number Monday – Friday, 9:00AM- 5:00PM at (213) 612-1575 (mention code: 1805CALLAW). CELA’s discounted room rate is $212 Single/Double.
Millennium Biltmore Hotel
506 South Grand Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90017
The hotel is 1.2 miles from Loyola Law School.
Deadline for reservations is May 4, 2018, however, we recommend that you make your hotel reservations early as discounted rooms are available on a first come, first served basis.
Loyola Law School, Los Angeles
The closest airports are Burbank Airport or LAX
CELA Trial College will qualify for 25 hours MCLE credit. CELA is a State Bar of California approved MCLE provider.
CELA TRIAL COLLEGE PLANNING COMMITTEE
Bernard Alexander, Michael Baltaxe, Dustin Collier, Laura Horton, Phil Horowitz, Renuka Jain, Wendy Musell, Cynthia Rice and Sarah Schlehr